This weekend, we’re celebrating a very special little guy’s birthday with these delicious treats – chocolatey banana walnut cupcakes. They are craveable, light, cakey, full of rich flavor, and moist (ordinarily this word sends chills down my spine. I chose to use it here, because another accurate descriptor just wasn’t coming to mind)! Locking in moisture while still achieving a light texture, in baked goods which are not only gluten-free but also grain-free, poses a real challenge. The struggle is real people! But look no further, I’ve done the recipe testing for you – these cupcakes have it all!
Often allergy-friendly treats may have a more dense texture or may have other sensory indicators of being “different” in some way. Not this indulgent dessert! These craveable chocolatey banana walnut cupcakes have been given the ultimate stamp of approval. They have “passed” as a traditional baked good by unsuspecting taste-testers who eat a standard American diet without any dietary restrictions (and are sometimes suspicious of foods made differently) – I was even asked to bring these to a future event! Nothing short of miraculous really 🙂
The batter can be mixed by hand in a single bowl, which means no need to drag out the big mixer or spend extra time washing dishes. This recipe makes 12 standard sized cupcakes. Cooking time may be adjusted for other cupcake sizes or to make a cake – though I haven’t experimented with this yet, so I cannot make a recommendation.
Frost these for your next special occasion calling for a celebration or leave them plain for a tasty muffin which you can feel good about enjoying more often. Right now these are my favorite special occasion treat – so delicious! Make a batch for your next celebration!
Craveable Chocolately Banana Walnut Cupcakes
- 2 cups green banana flour
- 1-½ cups mashed ripe banana
- 2/3 cup sunflower seed butter
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 pinches salt
- 1/2 cup dairy-free, soy-free chocolate chips I used Enjoy Life Dark Morsels
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- 2 jars dairy-free chocolate frosting (optional) I used Simple Mills Organic Chocolate Frosting
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all the ingredients except for the optional walnuts, chocolate chips, and frosting. Stir to fully combine.
- Add the chocolate chips and (optional) chopped walnuts. Fold in.
- Transfer to muffin pan lined with muffin papers or lightly coated with coconut oil (makes 12 standard sized cupcakes).
- Bake for approximately 20 minutes. Check with a toothpick to determine when done. Remove from oven when toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow to cool completely before frosting.
- Optional step: Use piping bag to frost cupcakes with chocolate frosting.