Crunch, crunch, munch, munch.
This slaw is summer in a bowl and one of our go-to sides for summer. Truly, seasonal produce at its best here. Heaps of crisp, fresh, beautiful purple cabbage with shredded orange carrots and punches of vibrant, tender green scallions. Not only is this slaw vibrant and gorgeous, it’s delicious! The purple cabbage is the star of the dish. And dressing it up with a tangy honey cider vinaigrette takes the it from snoozeville to zing.
Like all quintessential summer sides, a good slaw is a welcome accompaniment alongside many main dishes – pulled pork wraps, marinated grilled chicken, and so on. Whip up a batch this weekend to add some crunch to your cookout.
Purple Cabbage and Carrot Slaw
- 6 cups purple cabbage, shredded
- 4 carrots, peeled and shredded
- 6 scallions, sliced on a bias
- 1 1/2 tsp dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 3 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp honey
- 1/2 cup plus 1 Tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- In a large mixing bowl, combine vegetables for slaw.
- In a glass jar, combine all ingredients for vinaigrette. Seal lid. Shake thoroughly until dressing is emulsified.
- Pour vinaigrette over slaw veggie mixture. Using tongs or two large spoons, ensure vegetables evenly coated.