Creamy and custardy with sweet blueberries, bright lemony zest and corners of crisped french toast ends poking through, this breakfast casserole has special occasion or long weekend written all over it.
Often, baked french toast recipes instruct you to assemble the casserole the night before, refrigerating overnight. But what if your fridge is full or you wake up in the morning with a hankering for french toast without having done the evening prep work? No problem with this recipe!
This indulgent, comforting Blueberry Lemon Baked French Toast can be easily assembled while you are still half asleep in about 20 minutes. Let it sit for 1 hour, while you enjoy your coffee or straighten up your house before guests arrive (once the pandemic is over, of course!), then pop it in the oven for 50-60 minutes to bake. Grab a spoon, a bottle of maple syrup, and some bacon – you’re in for a treat!
Blueberry Lemon Baked French Toast
- 1 loaf EnerG Texas Toast cut into 1" cubes, lightly toasted
- 1 pint blueberries
- 12 egg yolks
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1/4 cup maple syrup plus more for serving
- 3 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 zest of lemon
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Place toasted bread cubes in large baking dish. Sprinkle blueberries on top. Set aside.
- In large mixing bowl, whisk egg yolks, coconut milk, maple syrup, lemon juice, lemon zest, vanilla, nutmeg, and salt. Pour mixture over bread and blueberries. Cover dish and let sit for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Bake uncovered for 50-60 minutes. Cover with foil to prevent burning, if needed. Baked french toast is done when bread is lightly browned and no liquid remains in the center of the dish.
- When done, remove from oven. Serve immediately with maple syrup drizzled on top.