If you’re looking for a chewy, rich and sweet dessert, try my Chewy Brownies. One bite and you’ll instantly feel like you’re celebrating the holidays! The deeply satisfying chocolate flavor comes from cocoa powder plus chocolate chips/chunks mixed into the batter. The coconut oil and egg yolk bring a rich, creamy texture along with healthy fats. This recipe makes one smaller, 8″ x 8″ pan of brownies or two 6″ round mini cakes. The smaller batch size is OK, because you probably won’t want these lying around the house too long; you may eat them all up yourself! If you’re feeling generous and want to share some with a larger group (lucky them!), the recipe easily doubles.
If you’re feeling extra fancy, instead of traditional brownies, this recipe can also make mini brownie cakes, which are perfect for sharing. This brownie variation starts out with the same brownie batter, and is made extra decadent and rich with the addition of some vanilla or chocolate frosting. Both are delicious! Often brownies in a pan aren’t anything all that pretty, but these brownie cakes can also be elevated by garnishing with some extra chocolate chips in the center and some shaved or grated chocolate on top. So pretty! One of these brownie cakes would be a special hand-made gift. Pick up a bakery style box from the store to transport one in style!
By all means, make your own homemade frosting if you prefer. I prefer to take advantage of the help offered by using a prepackaged option which works for us in terms of ingredients, taste, and availability. Some beginners tips for ensuring an even, smooth frosting layer: 1) start with completely cooled brownies 2) stir frosting with a spoon before applying 3) use an icing spreader rather than a knife 4) run icing spreader under hot water periodically to remove any clumps of frosting which may stick and also to smooth the surface 5) using clean hands, wipe stray frosting from the sides to clean up the edges.
- 3/4 cup maple syrup
- 3/4 cup coconut oil, melted plus slightly more for coating pan(s)
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 cup green banana flour
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup chocolate chips/chunks (ensure dairy and soy-free)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 jar Simple Mills Frosting (optional)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Coat inside of baking pan(s) with coconut oil to prevent sticking. One 8" x 8" pan OR two 6" round pans works well.
- Mix wet ingredients together in a bowl (maple syrup, coconut oil, egg yolks). Mix dry ingredients together in a separate bowl (green banana flour, cocoa powder, and salt). Combine wet and dry ingredients in a single bowl.
Add chocolate chips and stir to incorporate. Pour brownie batter into baking pan(s) and smooth out batter evenly.
- Bake for 20 minutes (25 minutes if making a double-batch). Remove from oven and allow to cool before cutting or optional frosting.
- If frosting (optional), do so when brownies are completely cooled. May garnish with additional chocolate chips or grated chocolate, if desired.