These herby lamburgers were just what we needed for dinner! After eating turkey and ham leftovers from an early Friendsgiving party which we hosted this past weekend, our taste buds were ready for something different. After all the Thanksgiving dinners will have been eaten at the end of next week, you may be looking for some variety in the animal protein department, too! Lamb to the rescue!
Swapping ground lamb meat for ground beef can be a welcome, occasional departure from the typical beef burger. This Mediterranean twist on the hamburger is rich in deep, herby, meaty flavor. The cucumber salsa contrasts nicely by adding some crunchy texture, bright acidity from some lemon juice and little bursts of sweetness thanks to the pomegranate arils. And the dollop of kalamata olive tapenade on top of each burger brings a complimentary saltiness which takes the taste up a notch.
Serve these lamburgers with a side salad with Greek vinaigrette dressing to quickly make a colorful, satisfying meal. Because of my love of leftovers (seriously, why would you want to make a whole new meal EVERY time you eat?!), I used 2 pounds of ground lamb to make six 1/3 pound burgers. This guarantees us leftovers. However, the recipe is easily scaled up or down in 1 pound increments based on your individual needs.
Herby Lamburgers with Cucumber Salsa and Kalamata Tapenade
- 2 pounds ground lamb
- 1/2 large yellow onion, chopped finely
- 1 tsp Himalayan pink salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 Tbsp garlic, minced
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2 Tbsp capers, minced
- 1 lemon, zest of
- 1 Tbsp fresh rosemary, chopped finely
- 1-1/2 tsp fresh thyme, chopped finely
Cucumber Salsa and Kalamata Tapenade
- 3 cups diced cucumber
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp garlic, minced
- 2 tsp capers
- 2 Tbsp red onion, minced
- salt, to taste
- 1/2 cup pomegranate arils
- 6 Tbsp kalamata tapenade
- Mix all ingredients for lamburgers together in a bowl. Form burger patties (I made six 1/3 pound burgers). Pan fry on medium heat until done.
- For cucumber salsa, mix all ingredients together except 1/2 the pomegranate and the kalamata tapenade. Spread cucumber salsa as the base on serving plate.
- When lamburgers are done, remove from fry pan and place on top of cucumber salsa. Spoon a dollop of kalamata tapenade on each lamburger. Sprinkle with remaining pomegranate and serve.